Monday, July 9, 2012

Baklava

OKay so when you look up Baklava in the dictionary it will most likely say: heaven on earth, the art of swimming in honey or floating on top of flaky phyllo dough... okay maybe not but pretty close.

It is probably my all time favorite sweet here.  But I'm not gonna lie I still haven't found anything close to how my Aunt Rosanna makes it.  True statement.  Maybe it is just the goodness of having it homemade with love.  But it is all tasty; the nuts are finely chopped while swimming in honey between many layers of buttery, flaky phyllo dough.  I should learn how to make it here, so then I won't have to beg my aunt to make it for me every time I see her.  I know she loves it though.






Something that is also good that I have tried here is Halva.  Made of grits with fruits, nuts and probably some more honey in there, it is a weird texture at first but it's delicious too.

Speaking of desserts and such the Greeks tend to eat family style most of the time.  We were talking about the pros and cons as a group and they only thing is -if something is really popular at the table like fried zucchini flowers (haven't tried yet) and only three comes on a plate, it is unfortunate for the rest of the table! So ordering three of the same dish is the solution.  Also eating family style is probably healthier, I've noticed that by getting a little of everything you get to just the right fullness compared to eating an entire bowl of pasta myself=over stuffed and regretting it.

There should be more family style eating in America, I know there are select places and families do when making dinner at home, but the oversized portions at restaurants maybe contribute to the obesity crisis in some states.

One thing annoying about the sharing is sharing the bill as well - there are little to zero places that will do separate checks for a meal.  Talk about complicated for 8 people a table. But that's part of it all.

There's my food update for now.

 On to... art history site trips, checking out the Greek yoga life, and eating more baklava.


No comments:

Post a Comment