Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Conquering Athens

I know I keep saying this, but today I really felt like a local.

 Okay more than the last time I said it.


 This morning we had another semi-unbearable, heat of the sun site visit, to the Agora.  When our class/ field trip came to an end- the streets of Athens were our playground.  Shopping anywhere gives you crazy adrenaline to keep on going when your feet thought you couldn't go another step.

We roamed the streets, shopped and made friends with the shop keepers.  After snagging a quick frappe and hopping onto the metro for home, I realized how comfortable the day had been. Looking back I felt as if I was shopping in Jacksonville.  Localized.  It is the coolest feeling ever, the feeling of conquering the city. Everything is at your fingertips. Just a metro stop away.

My Greek is getting better and the people are actually starting to recognize my desire to learn.  The old man we made friends with in the leather shop taught me some new phrases today.  He also helped me "connect the dots" on how most of our language is from Greek. "80 percent of your language comes from Greek," he says.  Of course it does.  Reminds me of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." Hilarious. By   the way we have watched  that movie on the internet here and our experience here  puts it into a totally different light.


But this goes to show that old Greek men do have a soft spot. Again it depends on who you meet but from discussion and some observation, most of the elderly keep to themselves in their all men cafes with their worry beads in hand.  But the deeper you dig; I have witnessed a smile or two and friendly replies after my attempt to greet them.

I've been told the Greeks live a hard, stressful life. On the surface you would never expect it- with the afternoon naps and frappes every hour, (pretty much)  it all seems anything but stressful.  But from the years of the suffering Greek economy it has taken a toll on the people as well.  So all their time and energy is put in to make a living for their family and all their free time is put into their family time.  So learning one thing from our one greek friend "Greeks are boring they only hang out with each other, they don't step out and meet people!"  Because they spend all their time embracing their family, loved ones and the people they have already put their time into.  Seems selfish but it's easy.

"Never enough thyme."

Basically time and family is precious to the Greek's so when there is time to relax, it's with the people they love.  The thought of introductions to new people can add stress that isn't needed for the Greeks. More time for building trust that is already embedded in their communities.  So they stick together.

No comments:

Post a Comment