Thursday, July 26, 2012

the finale


For every beginning there comes an end.

The hardest thing I did: Climbed a mountain at dawn -Mt. Hymettos, the top of our neighborhood. It was the most strenuous and yet rewarding thing that I have ever accomplished.  I forgot to mention when we got to the top I found a bracelet (in perfect condition). It was laying in plain view on one of the bouldering rocks we were gripping onto for dear life. I don't know if someone left it on purpose but I'll take it as good luck and I haven't taken it off since.  Then throughout my travels I saw ladies on the metro with the same type of bracelet with charm on it.

Favorite place: Hard to say, everywhere was my favorite! Delphi, Mycenae, and Hydra are up there.

Felt at home when: I ran the streets of Agia  Paraskevi. Practiced yoga in Greek . Traveled on the metro without looking at the map. Drank a frappe or cappuccino freddo everyday.

Favorite meal:  I never got sick of a fresh Greek salad, tzaziki or moussaka.

Most precious moment:  At the monastery near Delphi-  Osios Loukas.  
"Don't ask to understand the secrets of the universe, but simply to know what this moment means." 

I will take with me the memories, sights, smells and the victorious feeling of living somewhere else. My ability to adapt to the inconveniences and even becoming comfortable in a new culture is something I will never forget and the feeling can never be taken from me.

Greece is unpredictable. Which turns out to be refreshing. I am the type of person who plans, plans out my day, and when you never know when the market will open or if the bus will be on time ( we waited for an hour one day) or how long the line will be for stamps, or if they will even have enough stamps. Surprisingly all these set backs have actually taught me to go with the flow in life. 

Along with this- I'm also the type of person that when I give someone my word I try my hardest not to let them down - those hours listed on shop windows might let you down.  But it's not like that once you get used to it, the Greeks are just more relaxed and people just understand. They understand about being late from doctor appointments, flat tires and even just not feeling up to it kind of days. 
I don't think I ever felt the culture shock, maybe that will occur when I go back home...when I won't be able to walk down the street for a frappe.

 This has been such an eye opening experience and I'm so glad I got the opportunity. But it is always nice to return home, to the familiar.

 Thank you Greece and to my professors for leading me throughout.  Transitioning back into reality will be a task but with new experiences behind me I feel I am more prepared for the roads ahead.

2 comments:

  1. +






























































    I could walk down my street and get a frappe(although I am a hard core black coffee drinker. Unfortunately it would be McDonald's. Not quite the ambiance. On the flip-side, I have a pretty nice running path with trees and a river. Your trip will always give you a mental place to go to when you are having a bad day.
    Glad you got to experience Greece. I hope I get there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where my comment went so I'll repost. I can walk down the street and get a frappe(although I am a hard core black coffee drinker). Unfortunately it would be at McDonald's, not quite the ambiance. However, I have a wonderful neighborhood for running with an amazing Oak canopy and a river. No mountains though.
    I am glad you got to experience Greece. It will be your "happy place" that you can mentally visit when you are having a bad day. I hope I get to visit there someday.
    Go be spontaneous!

    ReplyDelete