Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I knew I wasn't home sweet home when...


Happy 4th of July- today we  celebrated it right, a trip to Sounion to see the Temple of Poseidon. Then hit the beach! Where the water was cold and refreshing and the people were entertaining in their bathsuit(s) of choice.  I'll let you fill in the blanks.


I've recently had experiences and frustrations  annoyances that won't last...but happen on these kind of life changing experiences. After all its been said that life begins at the end of your comfort zone?

Greek post office experience:

So all we wanted was some stamps and in the end we were still stampless.

We are talking a 45 minute wait for people sending packages- I just wanted some stamps though, where’s the second check out? There isn’t one. 

So coincidently the kiosk outside this Hellenic Post office sells stamps too along with newspapers, snacks and all that stuff.  But guess what--- it wasn’t open yet at 9:50 in the morning. So we asked someone when they thought it would open- “10 am, I think” think being the main word, a nice guy said. Okay, it was 10 till we decided to wait it out. We are some patient Americans I’d say.


 Then it never opened so we asked a shop lady if she knew and she said, “Well it was closed yesterday…so maybe they are on holiday?”  TYPICAL.

So that is one thing about the Greek culture- they open shop when they want and close shop whenever they want for siesta time everyday or for random “holidays”.

Sorry everyone you might not get your postcards in this lifetime. I’ll try again.

Anyway the days are running together even more now but we are definitely in a routine. And that routine is non-stop movement and also movement swaying away from sitting down and studying! 

But things are also starting to come up that I’m missing from home:

 More than a few friendly faces when walking down the street.  People did say the Greeks were unpleasant people (hey it says "mean" in my travels in Greece memoir) and I didn’t believe her (the narrator) at first but now my opinion is it depends on the Greek. An example is the little things- my professor said when she used to live here in Greece and she hurt her leg, so she was on crutches – taxi drivers wouldn’t pick her up because they knew they would have to help her and put the crutches in the back and so on.   Can you believe that? A cab would sacrifice his meter pay to avoid the extra effort in helping someone.  Note: This isn’t generalizing the whole population of Greeks.  Not to mention the only Greek friend we have made so far happens to have the most negative outlook in general and on America, too.  Been one of those days.

But back to that extra effort, it is totally put forth in the U S of A. 

Free water.  I’m really thirsty these days and slim to no restaurants serve tap water. Alternative is buying the big bottles for the table.  I know it is like this in other countries I’ve been to but, being here with all these other thirsty people makes for spending more money or just being thirsty.  And drinks are just really expensive. Crazy. 


24 hour stores. Having regular store hours and no naptimes even though the quiet time is a good idea. But it stinks on the days where the near by grocery doesn’t re –open after quiet hours. No making dinner for you. 

These are just minimal frustrations  annoyances that occur whenever you are somewhere that isn’t home.

My friend had shared a quote that stated "Wherever it is that you may be, be there." Somewhere along those lines.

So here I am,  I'm here.





No comments:

Post a Comment