Friday, July 6, 2012

Didn't see that coming

When I ventured to Omonia a while back (well it feels like it now) I didn't mention when we saw illegal immigrants lined against the wall surrounded by police men.  Arabs, Africans, Indians and other I didn't notice, but my professor said they were being deported. "Almost for their own good," then she explained the violence of the Greeks beating the immigrants to literally get out of their country.  "So they either stay here in a horrible life or they go back to their horrible life." This has been a problem in European countries for a while now, I came here expecting to see as many "gypsies" as in I did in Italy.  But it doesn't seem as bad here.

The scenario I really didn't see coming:

So apparently cute Greek cop=bad cop.

I was waiting at the bus station and so were these two Indian guys.  My friend noticed a cop car circle around twice and then they pulled over.  The cute cop, sorry he was, asked the two men for their passports and when the one friend or brother didn't have one, he took him by the arm into the cop car.

These were fairly well dressed men by the way.

The older brother (I'm assuming) has a look of sadness and concern as he asked the cop if he could come with them.  Of course not.  The man in the car- also looking of despair and longing, listened through the glass as the brother (I assume) said something along the lines of "I'll come meet you," or "I'll see you soon."

It was crazy to see all that happen in front of us.  Real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment